I am super excited to participate in Classics Spin #17 because I haven’t participated in years. Like everyone who joined the Classics Club Blog, I made a list of fifty classics. Unfortunately, I have ignored this challenge in the past three years, so I am nowhere near completion. Reading lists remind me of school, and I have enough reading lists to go through in graduate school. Because I predominantly read classics anyway, I don’t feel guilty about fudging the rules a bit to participate in the Classics Spins.
My list this time will include 20 classics that are on my physical and/or electronic TBRs. In January 2018, I implemented a challenge that has effectively slowed my book buying to a halt. And so far, I am quite pleased with the results. Borrowing has encouraged me to take more reading risks. I read more broadly and diversely than I did in the past.
Please note that some of the books on this list are relatively recent classics. Finally, the books are in chronological order by date of publication.
- Metamorphoses (c. 8 CE) – Ovid
- The Chronicles (c. 1370-1380) – Froissart (abridged by Penguin)
- Piers the Plowman (c. 1370-1390) – William Langland
- The History of King Richard III (c. 1513-1518) – Thomas More
- Notre-Dame de Paris [The Hunchback of Notre-Dame] (1829) – Victor Hugo
- North and South (1855) – Elizabeth Gaskell
- The Black Arrow: A Tale of the Two Roses (1888) – Robert Louis Stevenson
- The Picture of Dorian Gray (1890) – Oscar Wilde
- Life of St. Francis of Assisi (1893) – Paul Sabatier
- Cyrano de Bergerac (1897) – Edmond Rostand
- The Souls of Black Folk (1903) – W.E.B. Du Bois
- The Scarlet Pimpernel (1905) by Baroness Emma Orczy
- The Voyages of Dr. Doolittle (1922) – Hugh Lofting
- Sous le soleil de satan [Under Satan’s Sun] (1926) – Georges Bernanos
- The Seven Storey Mountain (1948) – Thomas Merton
- The Old Man and the Sea (1952) – Ernest Hemingway
- Another Country (1962) – James Baldwin
- A Single Man (1964) – Christopher Isherwood
- The Chocolate War (1974) – Robert Cormier
- Howl’s Moving Castle (1986) – Diana Wynne Jones